Aromë | Bergamot FCF Essential Oil
Aromë 100% Pure Bergamot Essential Oil (Citrus bergamia) from Italy is a Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil.
- Botanical Name: Citrus bergamia
- Origin: Italy
- Cultivation: Conventional
- Method of Extraction: cold expression
- Part Used: fruit
- Note: Top, middle
- Blends Well With: eucalyptus and geranium
The “FCF” stands for furocoumarin free and indicates that the phototoxic components, known as furocoumarins, have been removed. This is the only common instance in which an “altered” essential oil is used in aromatherapy. While it is possible purchase “whole” Bergamot oil which does contain furocoumarins, FCF Bergamot is a far safer alternative because it does not pose the high risk for causing severe sunburn and other manifestations of photoxicity that is posed by “whole” Bergamot essential oil.
Our Bergamot FCF essential oil has a beautiful fresh, light, fruity aroma with wonderful citrus notes.
The essential oil is named after the Italian city of Bergamot where it was originally cultivated. The evergreen bergamot orange tree (Citrus bergamia) is a hybrid of the Seville orange and Citrus limetta, the so-called “pear lemon”. The oil is famous for its use in the perfume industry. Bergamot oil has a refreshing citrus aroma that is somewhat spicy, light yet rich. It is also the distinctive ingredient in Earl Grey tea. Bergamot FCF essential oil used in aromatherapy is produced by cold expression of the fruit’s rind after it has been allowed to ripen and dry.
Our cultivated Therapeutic Quality Bergamot FCF Essential Oil is furocoumarin-free. Furocoumarin is a chemical found in regular bergamot oil which may cause the skin to have excessive sensitivity to sunlight and possibly increase the chances of severe sunburn. Because our Bergamot FCF Essential Oil is free of furocoumarin, it has greatly reduced phototoxicity over inferior bergamot oils.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.